Thursday, September 5, 2013

All About Hobbs...

And as we all know, it really is all about Hobbs here.  So Ed and I have often wondered how it will go when the baby arrives.  We followed all of the recommendations to assemble the baby gear and let the dog check it out.  Well ours has showed absolutely no interest in any of it, even the extreme snug-a-bunny baby swing we've had whirling, playing music, and buzzing around in the living room as a test drive.  No, Hobbs still prefers chasing the vacuum around over any baby contraption that is in this house.  If anything he looks at me with a "what the heck are you doing" expression when I insist on pushing the stroller around inside or shake rattles in his face to get a reaction.  Coincidentally, Ed is usually looking at me the same way :)

One thing is for sure though--this dog has figured out that something is definitely up.  He's naturally a herder so he would never hang out by himself and if Ed and I are in different rooms Hobbs strategically finds the best vantage point to lay down and keep an eye on it all.  But now he has left Ed to the wolves and is glued to my side. I love it.  When I take a bath, I come out to find him like this staring at the door from the bed.

When I can't sleep and get up in the night to hit the couch and watch TV, he forsakes his LL Bean memory foam doggie bed and follows me down to lay on the floor beside me.  When I head down the hall to the bathroom, he actually follows me in (with my sense of urgency these days, this just means that sometimes we're in there together) and if I shoo him out he's waiting outside the door for me. 
Sometimes he just sits and barks at me, and since I credit him as a doggie genius, I assume that this is some sort of Lassie moment and I'm about to go into labor.  Then he will walk away and plop a toy in front of me and I realize I've been duped and he was just trying to talk me into playing with him.

I can't wait to meet our daughter and to bring her home to this giant loveable fur ball.  We're convinced they will be BFF's.  Whatever the future holds, Ed and I know that long before marriage and babies, we became a family with Hobbs.

No comments:

Post a Comment